As this year is coming slowly to an end, I like to use this Sunday to experiment with a little personal Retrospective. We already did two good retros at work so I decided to one for myself.
Set the stage
As a method for setting the stage I use Check In-Questions
What do I expect to get out of this Retrospective?
Analyzing good and bad habits
Because I’m not really mad or sad about things happening this year I formulate the questions to: What do I want to
- Do More
- Do Less
- Keep Doing
Here are my items
- Spend time with kids
- Eat healthier
- Buying books
- Social Media (FB, 9Gag)
- Going to barcamps
- Drink enough water
- Budgeting with YNAB
As a method to generate insights I choose the 5 Whys.
Let’s start with the do Less list:
I buy so many books that I barely read them cover to cover.
- Why do I buy so many books? – Because I enjoy reading
- Why? – Because I like to know more about things
- Why? – Because I want to have an knowledge advantage at work
- Why? – Perhaps I fear a job loss
- Why? – Times are tough in the automotive industry
Decide what to do
Regarding books I will restrict myself to buying one book per month.
Close the Retrospective
I drink a beer 🍺